Friday, 5 November 2010

Otani University


Friday took me to Otani University, the college of Higashi Honganji, the other large sect of Jodo Shinshu.
There I met professors Blum and Dobbins under the wing of Esho Shimazu, who has been very helpful in his advice on my studies.  I also had a good talk with a young Shinshu minister from America, Michael Conway, who has just submitted his PhD, and met a young Italian Catholic MA student interested in Catholic-Shin Shu dialogue.  It was particularly helpful to meet another young minister from a different religion, but who like me is preparing to combine academic interests with ordained ministry. 

There will be a worldwide Shin Buddhist conference in honour of Shinran´s 750th anniversary next year at Ōtani.  I very much hope to make it out there, and perhaps even present a paper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment